Middle East Technical University Directive for Special Students
ARTICLE 1- (1) The aim of this directive is to regulate the principles concerning the special student status at Middle East Technical University.
ARTICLE 2- (1) This directive incorporates the provisions concerning the special student status at Middle East Technical University.
ARTICLE 3- (1) Special students are those who are allowed to participate in a limited number of courses without being enrolled in one of the academic programs at METU. Special Students can not benefit from the rights granted to full-time students. Special students benefit from the rights determined by the University Administrative Board.
Application and registration
ARTICLE 4- (1) Application requirements for special students, necessary documents, the registration procedure, and other similar information are announced on the Registrar’s Office website.
(2) Procedures for application and registration for special students are carried out on the dates indicated in the academic calendar.
(3) Those who will take courses from a bachelor's program as a special student must be registered or graduated from a higher education program in order to apply.
(4) Approvals from the following academic units are required for the admission of special students to courses:
a) For undergraduate courses, approval of the instructor(s) and the concerned department chair,
b) For graduate courses, approval of the of the instructor(s) and the concerned graduate school department chair and decision of the concerned administrative board.
(5) Students who take courses as a special student and count the courses at their university must present the decision from the Faculty Administrative Board for undergraduate programs and from the Graduate School for the graduate programs at the time of application.
(6) Students admitted to courses apply with the required registration documents to the Registrar’s Office, where registration is done.
(7) Special student application and tuition fees are determined by the University Administrative Board.
(8) Students who are enrolled in another higher education institution that will take courses in summer school as a special student at METU will be charged twice as much as the fee (on a faculty basis) paid by METU students for summer school. The tuition fee amounts for those who will take courses from the Department of Modern Languages, the Department of Turkish and the Department of Fine Arts are determined by the University Administrative Board.
Provisions pertaining to special students
ARTICLE 5 – (1) Enrollment as a special student is limited to a total of four semesters.
(2) Special students may take 2 credit courses at most in a semester and may take a total of 4 courses during their period of study.
(3) Special students may not withdraw from courses.
(4) Special students must follow the rules specified in the regulations and procedural principles of the University.
(5) Male special students are not entitled to the postponement of military service.
(6) Special students are not awarded diplomas. However, they are given a document indicating the courses they have taken and the grades they have earned.
(7) Special student enrollment procedure is semester based and candidates who will apply in the next semesters should do all the procedures again.
Northern Cyprus Campus
ARTICLE 6 – (1) The procedures and principles concerning the application of this directive to the programs conducted in METU Northern Cyprus Campus are determined by the Senate.
ARTICLE 7 - (1) This directive takes effect on December 19, 2017, the date it was approved by the Middle East Technical University Senate.
ARTICLE 8 - (1) This directive is implemented by the President of Middle East Technical University.