Student ID Cards
Student ID cards are given to students after registration to the university and these ID cards are valid through the duration which a student is registered to a program.
Each year, an academic year stamp indicating the relevant academic year is made available free of charge and affixed onto the ID cards. As the relevant academic year is printed on the ID cards of new admissions, first-year students do not need to obtain an academic year stamp. The academic year stamps for students who are continuing their programs are issued at the end of the registration period of each fall semester.
Student ID cards are free of charge. However, a fee must be paid for renewal due to card loss, or student demand. In case of getting an official record regarding the loss of ID card which is provided by the police, security staff or any other official unit, the student can make an application for a new card with this record without making any payment.
ID cards of students who dismissed from the University due to academic failure or did not renew the registration are deactivated. If they renew the registration, they have to make a payment for a new ID card.
The bank account numbers in which the fee shall be deposited is indicated under the heading “Payments”. The bank receipts must bear the student ID number, name and last name. The receipt must be retained as the bank will issue one copy only.
HOW TO APPLY FOR IDENTITY CARD?
Students apply for identity card from the following link electronically.
In order to apply for the identity card, you should have ODTÜ user code and password.
Students who are responsible for paying identity card fee should upload the bank receipt to the system.
You will see your photo during the application if you have it on the system. You can use this photo or you can upload another one.
1. Photograph Specifications
- The photograph should be 50 mm x60 mm in size, in white background, and without a pattern.
- Files must be less than 3 MB and png/ jpg/ jpeg/ gif formats are allowed for upload.
- In the photo, you should have a neutral expression with closed mouth and be facing the camera.
- Eyes should be opened and clearly seen. Your hair should not cover your eyes and you should directly look at the camera.
- You should center the head with the frame.
- Accessories (like hat) are not allowed except glasses used not as accessorize.
2. Uploading the photo to the system
Information about the photo upload can be found on the program. While uploading, the photo should be centered in terms of shape and size. Applications not faithful to explanations about the format of the photograph will be rejected.
3. Preparation procedure for student ID cards
ID card application of students are controlled by the Registrar’s Office, and appropriate applications are approved through the online system. Inappropriate applications (photo format problems, bank receipt problems, such as no bank receipt or mistaken bank receipt, etc.) are rejected. Students can track the application procedure, approval status of their applications and readiness of their ID cards through the application program ( http://cardinfo.metu.edu.tr/ ).
In case of a rejected application, students should log in to the program, make the necessary corrections, and complete their application.
4. Picking up the ID card
Students whose ID cards are ready can pick up their cards by presenting their national identity card or passport. Broken or damaged cards are delivered to the Registrar's Office.
- Department of Basic English students: Registrar’s Office / Ground Floor / DBE Students Counter
- Undergraduate Students: Registrar’s Office / Ground Floor / Undergraduate Students Counter
- Graduate Students: Registrar’s Office / Ground Floor / Graduate Students Counter
LOSS OF AN ID CARD
If found on Campus, lost ID cards are sent to certain units. You are, therefore, advised to ask to the following units.
- The Office of Domestic Services / President’s Office / Ground Floor
- The Registrar’s Office / Student Counters
- The Department Chair Secretary
It is not mandatory, but advisable to place an ad on a local newspaper and save the ad in case of loss of the ID card or it is being stolen.
Since the ID cards bear a smart card feature and function as electronic wallets with money loaded on them, http://cardinfo.metu.edu.tr/ should be notified of the situation so as to block its usage by someone else. If this notification is not made, the risk and the responsibility lies with the student.
DEACTIVATION OF ID CARDS
ID cards, whose registration is canceled, transferred or non-registered and dismissed from the University for any reason, are deactivated by the Registrar's Office.
WHAT NOT TO DO REGARDING ID CARDS:
- Do not keep the card outside a wallet, and in particular in your trousers’ back pocket
- Avoid its contact with water, oil, chemical solutions, etc.
- Do not staple or perforate the card
- Do not bend the card, or use it as a scraping device for ice, etc.
- Do not make incisions on the card with sharp and piercing objects
- Avoid the card’s contact with hot surfaces
- Do not leave the card as a deposit since it functions as an electronic wallet
- ID cards cannot be given to others. Some of our students give their ID cards to people from the outside university and thus enable them to enter the campus. Their intention in doing so is usually innocent, and they do not consider the consequences of the conduct. This, however, is serious misconduct which calls for the disciplinary action of SUSPENSION. Unfortunately, quite a few students go through disciplinary procedures and are punished due to this misconduct. Disciplinary actions are recorded in student files and are not subject to repeal. Therefore, we strongly remind you to be careful regarding this issue and refrain from behavior that will lead to consequences which you will regret in the future.