2021 - 2022 SPRING SEMESTER
SPECIAL STUDENT APPLICATION AND REGISTRATION DATES:
28 FEBRUARY - 07 MARCH, 2022
Registrar's Office Application Unit
Telephone : 0 (312) 210 34 12 - 210 34 64
Students who will take courses from an undergraduate program as special students have to be enrolled in or graduated from a higher education program in order to apply.
Students registered in a higher education institution can remain as special students for a maximum of two semesters throughout their degree program.
Students who will take courses from a graduate program as a special student have to be enrolled in a graduate program of a higher education institution.
Students who take graduate-level courses must present the decision of the Graduate School Administrative Board regarding the approval for taking the course as a special student at METU. Registration for graduate courses cannot be done without submitting the decision of the Graduate School Administrative Board in the application process.
Special student admissions requirements;
* For undergraduate-level courses, (i) approval of the lecturer and department chair.
* For graduate-level courses, (i) approval of the lecturer, and (ii) approval of the department chair
Application and registration procedures of special students;
Candidates who will apply to METU as a special students must submit the required documents mentioned below to the Registrar’s Office Application Unit (The Registrar’s Office Ground Floor) by hand on March 7, 2022, at 17:00.
After submitting the documents, special students will be registered to the approved course/courses by Registrar’s Office. The registrar’s office will give student numbers to the registered students.
Special students will not attend interactive registration.
The special student enrollment procedure is semester-based, and candidates who will apply in the next semesters must do all the procedures again.
- Application Form.
- A true copy of the diploma, or Educational Certificate for those who are graduated. a.
- A student certificate for those who are registered to a university
- Document showing the medium of the instruction of the program registered in the current university.
- Document proving not having any disciplinary action.
- Official English Language Exam Result which is recognized by METU (see the exams recognized by METU from http://oidb.metu.edu.tr/en/equivalence-table-english-language-exams-rec…) for candidates from the higher education institutions whose medium of instruction is Turkish.
- Two photos (One of the photos will be pasted on the application form, one for the student card).
- Receipt of the course fee per credit and application fee.For bank accounts; http://oidb.metu.edu.tr/tr/diger-hizmetler-icin-banka-hesap-numaralari adresini takip edebilirsiniz.
- 10- Students who will take the course(s) as a Special Student and want to count these courses back in their own universities, should submit Faculty Administrative Board decision for undergraduate programs and Graduate Administrative Board decision for graduate programs taken from their own universities. Sending the decision to METU without submitting the required documents for the application as an attachment of an official correspondence will not be enough for the registration process. In order to complete registration, all documents must be submitted in the application.
- In the decision document stating that the Higher Education Institution of which he/she is a student has accepted to be a special student at METU, the courses he/she will take at METU must be included.
- Special students are not accepted to the English Preparatory School.
- For students enrolled in a higher education institution, the period of special studentship is limited to two semesters intermittently or continuously.
- Special students pay their tuition fees to the higher education institution they are registered.
- Students who will register summer school as special students pay the summer school fee to the higher education institution where they have taken the course.
- METU students cannot register as special students.
- Candidates who submit their application documents must obtain a password from https://useraccount.metu.edu.tr/newstudent/ to view the course notes and follow the shared course documents at the end of the semester.
For “Middle East Technical University Directive for Special Students,” please click here.
APPLICATION FEE AND COURSE FEE PER CREDIT
Students who are actively registered to one of the state or private universities in Turkey at undergraduate and graduate levels are exempted from the course fee and application fee, except summer school.
Special Student applications are made for one semester. For the next semesters, the application must be renewed. If the applicant wants to be a special student for the following semesters, the application is required but the application fee is waived.
Non-credit courses (Except for Non-thesis evening programs Graduate Seminar and Term Project) are paid as two credit courses.
Instructors, administrative staff, and technical personnel in METU (except part-time instructors) pay the course fee per credit with a 50% reduction.
People in the abovementioned situation should present a copy of their academic identity card and show the original one or they should present a document taken from the Directorate of Personnel Department about their designation procedures.
SPECIAL STUDENT COURSE FEE (PER CREDIT)
The special student course fees for the courses of Evening Non- Thesis Master's Programs are different and these fees are available on this link: http://oidb.metu.edu.tr/en/tuition-fee-amounts
Students may ask for a refund for their course fee and application fee payments within the given dates on the Academic Calendar. For refund requests, students should fill out the Payment Refund Application Form (available here: http://oidb.metu.edu.tr/en/forms) and submit it to the Registrar's Office by attaching the payment receipt. Therefore, it is recommended to keep a personal copy of the payment.
EVENING NON-THESIS MASTER'S PROGRAMS- SPECIAL STUDENTS
For students who want to take some courses as special students from non-thesis evening master programs, there is no tuition exemption or reduction. The special student course fees for the courses of Evening Non- Thesis Master's Programs are different and these fees are available on this link: http://oidb.metu.edu.tr/en/tuition-fee-amounts. Candidates are required to pay the fee per credit and submit all the required documents and copy of bank receipt to the Registrar’s office Application Unit (The Registrar’s office ground floor) by hand. The original bank receipt and a copy of the receipt should be given to the Department Secretary as well.
TUITION FEE PAYMENTS FOR THE INTERNATIONAL JOINT UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAM (SUNY) STUDENTS
International joint undergraduate program students who will take courses as a special student are required to pay fee per credit explained in the http://oidb.metu.edu.tr/en/tuition-fee-amounts
BANK ACCOUNTS FOR THE EVENING NON-THESIS MASTER'S PROGRAMS
EVENING NON-THESIS MASTER PROGRAMS
Please see the tuition fee amount webpage: http://oidb.metu.edu.tr/en/tuition-fee-amounts
For offered courses, please visit, https://oibs2.metu.edu.tr/View_Program_Course_Details_64/