ARTICLE 1- (1) The aim of this directive is to regulate the principles concerning the special student status at Middle East Technical University.
ARTICLE 2- (1) This directive incorporates the provisions concerning the special student status at Middle East Technical University.
ARTICLE 3- (1) Special students are those who are allowed to participate in a limited number of courses without being enrolled in one of the academic programs at METU.
Application and registration
ARTICLE 4- (1) Application requirements for special students, necessary documents, the registration procedure and other similar information are announced on the Registrar’s Office website.
(2) Procedures for application and registration for special students are carried out on the dates indicated in the academic calendar.
(3) Approvals from the course instructor and the following academic units are required for the admission of special students to courses:
a) For undergraduate courses, approval of the concerned department chair,
b) For graduate courses, recommendation of the concerned graduate school department chair and approval of the concerned administrative board.
(4) Students admitted to courses apply with the required registration documents to the Registrar’s Office, where registration is done.
Provisions pertaining to special students
ARTICLE 5 – (1) Enrollment as a special student is limited to a total of four semesters.
(2) Special students may take 2 credit courses at most in a semester, and may take a total of 4 courses during their period of study.
(3) Special students may not withdraw from courses.
(4) Special students must follow the rules specified in the regulations and procedural principles of the University.
(5) Special students are entitled to the rights granted by the University Administrative Board.
(6) Male special students are not entitled to the postponement of military service.
(7) Special students are not awarded diplomas. However, they are given a document indicating the courses they have taken and the grades they have earned.
Northern Cyprus Campus
ARTICLE 6 – (1) The procedures and principles concerning the application of this directive to the programs conducted in METU Northern Cyprus Campus are determined by the Senate.
ARTICLE 7 - (1) This directive takes effect on 26 March 2013, the date it was approved by the Middle East Technical University Senate.
ARTICLE 8 - (1) This directive is implemented by the President of Middle East Technical University.