Important Information for International Students




Newly admitted undergraduate or graduate students are to obtain their visas by presenting their acceptance letters to the nearest Turkish Embassy. A student visa is usually valid for one month. Therefore, these students must register to the University within one month after their entry to Turkey.


To get a visa, you need an acceptance letter, a passport valid for a long term, proof of sufficient financial resources for the period of your education in Turkey (bank statement, scholarship document, etc.) and the visa fee. Consulates may require additional documents.




Every foreign resident, just like any Turkish citizen, has an identity number issued by the Turkish Republic. This number is also used in METU’s Student Affairs Information System (SAIS). METU SAIS requires this number when

  1. learning your grades at the end of the semester,
  2. requesting student certificates,
  3. you graduate.

In other words, students who do not have this number will not be able to learn their grades, get student certificates or graduate. For this reason, those who have not submitted their Foreign National Identity numbers previously, need to submit the number to the advisor who is responsible for their program in the Registrar’s Office, visiting the Registrar’s Office (see for a list of advisors of Registrar’s Office,



  1. Visit
  1. Make an inquiry by either entering your Residence Permit Number (İkamet Tezkere no.: the number on the first page of your Residence Permit, e.g. 1-112233), or your personal information.
  2. Upon your inquiry, you will be given an 11 digit number generally starting with 99 upon. Take a print-out of this inquiry and submit it to the advisor who is responsible for your department in Registrar’s Office.
  3. There is a possibility that the inquiry may not give you a number, which means that you have not been assigned this number yet. In this case, you will need to go to the Turkish National Police/ Foreigners Unit (Ankara Emniyet Müdürlüğü/ Yabancılar Şubesi) to learn your Foreign National Identity Number. Once you obtain the number, submit it to the Registrar’s Office as instructed in (3) above.



WARNING: You must obtain your Foreign National Identity Number as soon as you get your residence permit so that you may benefit from the General Health Insurance services.  



The first resort for students regarding their health and psychological problems is the Health and Guidance Center (HGC). Students apply with their Student ID Card to the Patient Reception Desk. The student’s initial examination, tests and treatment are carried out at the HGC within capacity and in accordance with the regulations. In cases which call for further examination, tests and treatment, state and university or private hospitals are resorted to. There is a treatment fee as determined by the Council of Higher Education. This fee must be paid for each visit to a physician.  



Students who are covered by GHI may apply to state and university hospitals with their Foreign National Number as long as they have paid their premium. No payment is required at state and university hospitals. Therefore, it is recommended that all international students register for GHI. The patient share for medications is 20%. Coverage of expenses for eye glasses etc. is in accordance with the Directive for Health Applications (for example, a coverage of 45 TL for the frame + 11 TL for the glass is valid for 2013.)


Students have to pay a balance if they choose to go to a private hospital. This balance may be different at each hospital. The patient share for medications is 20%.


In order to register for GHI, international students must apply to the Social Security City Directorate or to the Social Security Center of the district in which the student resides within 3 months after they obtain their Foreign National Number from the Directorate of National Police in Ankara, where they obtained their residence permit. After registration at the Accounts Unit at the HGC, and once they deposit the GHI premium to the bank they become insured. Students have to pay this premium determined as the minimum amount annually as long as their education continues. This annual amount is about 500 TL. Every year there is an increment in the premium amount after January. Students are responsible for being aware of and pay this amount.

The premium may be deposited in the relevant accounts at Vakıflar Bank, Ziraat Bank (both of which are on campus) and Halk Bank by stating the Foreign National Identity Number.


Students who do not apply for the GHI within the 3-month legal period for application may not benefit from this right afterwards. Therefore students are strongly advised not to ignore this procedure.


Students holding Turkey, Ministry of National Education-State, Ministry of National Education-Government, or Eastern Turkestan scholarships do not pay GHI premiums, but are insured within the scope of their scholarships.

Exchange students and students of International Graduate Joint Degree Programs (except for GTSS students) do not pay GHI premiums.

International students who have a valid health insurance in Turkey through their parents are to submit a document proving this to the Social Security City Directorate or to the Social Security Center of the district in which the student resides. 

You may get information about your premium debt from the HGC Accounts Unit (3rd Floor).

How to become a GHI beneficiary in 5 steps:


1.Find out your Foreign National Identity Number.

To learn your Foreign National Identity Number, please visit and make an inquiry.

If you cannot learn your Foreign National Identity Number through this inquiry, please go to the Turkish National Police / Foreigners Unit (Emniyet/Yabancılar Şubesi) with your Residence Permit. Request your Foreign National Idendity Number.  

2.Get 2 print-outs of the document indicating your name, surname, Foreign National Identity Number from the above Internet page.
3.Submit one copy of the print-out to the advisor in charge of your department at the Registrar’s Office (If you have already done this, there is no need for resubmittal.).
4.Submit the second copy of the print-out to the Social Security City Directorate or to the Social Security Center of the district in which you reside. You will be added to the system of the Social Security Institution.

5.Make your premium payment.

NB: Contact information of Social Security City Directorate and Social Security Centers are sent through e-mail by International Students’ Office.